Sunday, September 6, 2009

Round 9 US Open

  The last round finally came after 9 days of chess. I would either finish with an even score, my current minus 1 or even a disastrous -2 score. My opponent was 3rd grader Adream Liang, who was so short he had to get his knees on the chair in order to reach the pieces when he made his moves. His dad and younger brother were also playing.

pgn4web chessboards courtesy of pgn4web.casaschi.net

  I was pretty happy with this game. My opponent played poorly, but I punished him severely. And best of all, I had an even score for the tournament. A soft even score to be sure (losing 27 of the precious rating points), but I had accomplished my goal.

  Final score +2 -2 =5 Total 4.5 for 9 Games

  I was generally pleased with the way I played. I only made 3 game changing blunders, but I was unhappy with my lost opportunities that could have turned draws to wins in 3 of my draws. My next tournament is CyChess on 27-Sep-2009 which is a 3 round game in 45 minutes afternoon tournament.


  Postscript: Adream's brother is Awonder Liang who was a child prodigy that broke a host of 'youngest ever' records and is currently a grandmaster. If I had known at the time I would have asked for an autograph...

No comments: